Thursday, July 24, 2014

072414


Back down low on the Yellowstone today to an overall productive, yet disappointing day on the water. The morning started with a little color to the water, no other boats, and overall perfect conditions. We had some tugs right out of the gate, one nice fish and then it just got slow and sporadic. There was a little bit of a front moving through, so maybe that put them off a bit. It got windier than a MF around 1:00, but we still managed a few decent fish here and there as the water color improved.
The real deal about today was that I was reminded that my expectations aren't always in line with the folks I take fishing. I expected to hook into 30-40 fish, some big ones, and stay ahead of all the other boats. The reality was more like 15 fish, no real big ones, and no other boats. The guys were thrilled with the day and the experience which made me appreciative of having the opportunity to fish with people on their vacation all summer long. Not a bad gig at all. I am looking forward to not rowing a boat tomorrow and doing some shop time, though I will mis not being in my badass Nomad series RO Deville for the day.
General likes for the day and the last couple of weeks? Orvis H2 rods are still very badass. The Bozeman Reels are smooth and badass, RIO Fluoroflex Plus is the only way to go, Scott Radian 907 is a badass streamer rod paired with whatever reel and the RIO Outbound Short with the Intermediate head and floating running line, Patagonia Island Hopper shirts last forever, Tan/Yellow Double Gongas are to me what a BH Prince is to so many others, my polaroid digital camera makes people smile like nothing else, driving home to the Sex Pistols just won't happen enough in this lifetime, people are generally good.

No comments: