Sunday, December 04, 2005

Organization Day

Ever wonder what a fishing guides' boat bag looks like at the end of the year! I'm not speaking for all guides as I know that some of them spend hours every night reorganizing their tackle bag, cleaning lines, hosing out the boat, cleaning the rig and so on. I'm usually on the water pretty early and stay on until near dark...thus I don't have a lot of free time to take care of this. So, I spend some time here and there just keeping everything manageable.

I took the time today to do the big bag clean while watching my Cowboys get spanked. By halftime, I had most of the loose flies free of tippet and sorted into useable and trash piles. By the end of the game, I had the flies sorted by type into compartnebts of a giant box and all the odds and end like tippet, leaders, indicators, etc. stuffed back into one central compartment. I have another half a day of work to complete the process. I wonder how many flies I actually have? When folks ask whihc tippet I use, I usually show them the one that is handiest (as long as it's fluorocarbon). I really like all the fluorocarbons that are out there today with Mirage, Fluoroflex, and Dounble X being my prefferred brands. I can always tell the season is nearing an end when I'm using Dai-Riki or Frog Hair!

No comments: