Thursday, September 29, 2011

Anticipation

It's been great to have a few days off now and not even think about being on the water! That said, looking forward to getting back after it in a few days and the forecast is for some fall like conditions. The weather has been amazing the last few weeks, but I've felt like I've been on the sidelines just waiting for the right play to be called before going into the "2 minute drill." Clouds, rain, coldness...that's what I've been waiting for. I should go back to some of my posts in June of this year and I bet I can find one in which I was begging for sunshine and a wader-free day.

Fish can have their ant and hoppers...I'm ready to fish some zonkers and articulated junk with hopes of connecting with something that would best be described as Leviathan. Dry flies are great fun, but they're really meant for summer, spring creeks, and New Zealand. So, I'm getting the Depth Charge lines back out, making sure I have some sinking leaders and plenty of 12-18 lbs tippet just in case it all comes together.

Nothing is more exciting about this fishing stuff than the anticipation. Whether it's the night before a big trip, the drift down to a rising fish, the next cast, or the next fish, anticipation is what makes all those moments in between so interesting. So, the anticipation of what is coming in the next couple of weeks reminds me of why it never hurts to make a few practice casts.

No comments: