Monday, August 04, 2014

080414


Lower on the stone today for a cloud-covered mid-summer fish fest. It's been awhile since we've had clouds like this and I had some new anglers, so I was hesitant to go right to the gonga. Not to mention the fact that they had the bluetooth Jambox rocking out to crappy C&W music right out of the gate and a cooler full of beer…Gonga fishing was the furthest thing from my mind. However, after a couple of fish on hooper/droppers and a surprising demonstration of better than average casts, gonga we went. Had fish eating most of the day, 3 between 18-20 coming our of fast water. Had some good ones eat hoppers too and then switched to double nymphs late in the day and got some more. They were eating well with the clouds today. It's a sad day when I have come to think of hopper fishing as akin to nymphing…but that is where I am at right now…unless I can hang a sculpin off the hopper that is. I mean seriously, who cares about a stupid rise when you can have a hard tug and line ripping out and away with the confidence that only 20 puns tippet can bring? Dry flies are meant to be fished in New Zealand…this is fish water around here right now.

No comments: