Monday, August 08, 2016

I'm Still Here

Alright then, I've had a wonderful little hiatus from sharing my thoughts and observations on the world with the world. Think I'm done with being done for awhile, so stay tuned for the a continuation of lessons on the basic axioms of a life in fly fishing coming your way in 2016.

The summer has been hot and dry. The rivers started to warm up and drop back around July 4, we even were getting fish on hoppers as early as then on the Yellowstone. I've cut back on the guiding - significantly  - this year as I have honestly just been burnt out on the whole thing for the last year or two. Not burnt out on the fishing or the guiding per say, but burnt out on trying to juggle the fly shop, guiding, and the important things in life like family. I don't really miss the bring of rowing the boat everyday and getting up at 4:30 try tin got squeak a day out, to be honest. I don't think that I'm done though, it feels more like a "gap year."

Things have, nevertheless, been busy and I've had lots of time to reflect on lots of things from the wisdom of Montana Fish, Wildlife, & Parks to the impacts of excessive plastic usage in Thailand. I think FWP has done a great job of watching the rivers and placing angling restrictions where suitable. I remember the days when I thought they were a bunch of retarded monkeys…NOT SO anymore. I don't know if the changed or I did, but I think they are doing a great job in Region 3 this year. The world uses too much Plastic, it's true. Lots more in-between.

I have been fishing quite a bit, once or twice a week as of late. Been dipping my head in the murky waters of Carp fishing more days than I care to admit. I have had some remarkable realizations on Carp fishing as a result. First off, it really is fun. Second off, it is difficult. Third off, if you are a fly fishing professional and think that Carp fishing is some sort of "next-level" shit….you are an idiot. Kind of like reading fly shop reviews on fly rods shit. If you are a "professional fly-fisher" and struggle with catching Carp on the Missouri River in the summer-time…you should look into another career because it isn't that hard. Fly on the nose, they eat…fly not on the nose….they don't eat. No Voodoo to it. I have a lot of fun with it because I am that good. ON the fly rod review thing, I've cast just about all of them and they are all good…if you are a pro and can't make a modern rod do what you want it to…sign up for one of our fly fishing classes and I'll teach you how to cast.

Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years….


No comments: