Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Ditch's Bitches

Reports of an algae bloom started going on Clark Canyon a couple days ago had deterred me from trying it today as the Beav was supposedly a mess of white crap. I got the call from Tim Tollet of Frontier Anglers this morning that the river was in good shape once again so went back to plan A.

We didn't get over there until noon, probably shouldn't even have messed with the boat but we did anyway. Fished the pump hole for an hour or so hooked up a few times landed some dinks and one really nice 20-21" Bow. No picture of course. Floated the rest of the way throwing streamers which got some chases and tugs but only dinks to the boat. Great weather, good camaraderie, and my best fish of the year so far.

I would go back to the Beaverhead in the next few days, get there early and work the crap out of the water from the slick to the dam. The reason I would if I could is that the algae bloom has got the little green midges (no picture) going nuts and the fish that I pumped were full of them. I ended up fishing two of em and they were on them good. High probability of hooking a big fish on a little nymph over there right now and it ain't too busy at all. The fly I was using was just a green piece of flexi floss furled over on itself about a .25-.5 inches long tied on to a size 18 scud hook with a dubbed head.

Back at it the next 3 days, probably going on a lower madi bucket hunt fro 3 days...I hope anyway as it's been the best thing around and has been very good anyway.

No comments: