Friday, August 26, 2011

No more pee on my waders?


I blew out my second pair of Sonic Seam waders back in June after about 40 days of hard use. The first pair lasted about the same and I was greatly disappointed to have a repeat. Granted, I am particularly hard on gear and do not take care of the stuff I use the most. If it passes my test...it's probably really well made.

If I get 40 days out of a pair of waders, most folks will get several years and I feel pretty confident with that statement. There's always the exception to the rule, but I really do tend to tear things up pretty quickly.

Anyway, the wader design is very cool. They are the most comfortable waders I've ever owned and pack into a tiny ball, ideal for travel. Orvis has had very few issues with the seams or waders in general, so they've put me on the field test list for the newest version which is still up in the air as to whether they will work or not and even ever be put into production.

I just received the zip-up version of the sonic weld waders and opened the package up today. They look good, but I've got a long way to go before I give them the "Toby Approved" stamp. One thing is for sure...I drink a lot of coffee and piss about 8 times a morning so the zipper will sure make that an easier task! Honestly though, I've worm waders enough this year so I'd prefer to hold off on them for another 2 months or so.

Initial thoughts are that I much prefer the gravel guards and suspenders in this version to the standard version. Maybe too many pockets and a little too similar in look to something a stormtrooper would wear in the swamps of Dagobah. Other than that, looks good at first glimpse.


No comments: