Saturday, February 18, 2012

Sunday Bloody Sunday

I made it back to Dunedin despite a few near deaths experiences on the road involving dairy trucks and harmless motorists. I've been staying with a friend of mine that guided me on my first several trips to NZ. Selwyn lives in Dunedin and has a fishing and hunting store here in town. It was great to catch up with him and get some r and r before the big trip begins later today.

He and I went fishing on the Shag River for a couple of hours yesterday in the rain. He got a nice fish to hand and I lost one under some willows. We saw quite a few and it was great way to wrap up this part of my journey.

We spent the afternoon at a block party/wild game feed in his neighborhood in Karatane, a quiet little beach tome north of Dunedin. Everyone was was very welcoming and the food was overwhelming. The theme was foods made of stuff they had either hunt or gathered so we had clams, deer, duck, rabbit, paua, cookies made of lavender, and so on. Always great to get to interact with the locals in places like this as it gives you a much better sense of the place than you'll get Crome sitting around a lodge talking about G5's and private schools!

Off to Christchurch this morning and then picking a couple of the guys up for the drive to Twizel where we will be the next few days. I have to go back to Chc tomorrow to pick the others up so I'm a couple days away from the serious fishing

No comments: