Monday, September 03, 2012

NIght before last


If there is one thing I love to do, but hardly ever get the chance to do anymore, it's night fishing. Not the going out for the evening hatch, but straight up waiting until its been dark a few hours and fishing up until an hour or two before the morning's first light starts to show. For one thing, the nights are short here and the days long, add to that the fact that I'm usually working from 5:30 or so in the morning on, so night fishing just isn't much of an option for me anymore. However, I've been wanting to get back at it for years and finally did it the night before last.
I joke that the best nights of my first marriage were spent on the Beaverhead and Missouri, stripping streamers. My ex was at home. They really were some of the best nights of that doomed venture! There's nothing like the sounds, smells, and occasional tug found in a big river during the middle of the nights.
We hit it hard for a few hours swinging mice and stripping streamers through big pools and lazy runs. We even found some fish too. 2 am never seemed so late to me in my life and I felt very old as I headed home and Nick headed to a party once we were done!

No comments: