Wednesday, November 20, 2013

112013

A feller came in the shop today, mid-blizzard, talking about how the lower Madison always fishes well with dries in a blizzard. I'm happy to say that I do not know that to be true or false today. I'm wondering what happens to my weed sprayer now…it has 28 gallons of weed spray in it and it's sitting outside in my backyard…stay tuned next spring.
Fishy huh? How about go grab some PAM, Vaseline, Chartreuse Eggs, maybe some WD-40, and go get 'er done in the morning. Let me know how it goes. I'll be pondering the merits of Gamakatsu Hooks, Hot Bead flies, and possibly a new pair of sunglasses tomorrow morning.
Just out of curiosity here folks, reply via the comment field if you are so inclined…I am curious as to which fly reels are your favorite in the $150-$250 price range if you have one. There was a time when Ross kind of owned that part of the market. Is it Lamson, Ross, Orvis, or some other brand? I tend to like the higher dollar ones myself, but I think that $200 isn range is probably a pretty sweet price point for most folks. Talking trout sizes here and Okuma is an acceptable answer too, so let me know if you don't mind.

7 comments:

Travis Rehm said...

love the lamson line!!

Anonymous said...

For some reason, fish line up just outside that island, and sit there eating dries all winter long. The rest of the lm sucks for the next 5 months

Anonymous said...

"Made in the usa" will carry it's own weight, as far as reels are concerned

rimcMT said...

For trout my favorite reel is an Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock. It's just below your $ range but it's sturdy and light. Perfect for 6wt and under.

The Lamsons look very nice and I have 2 Velocitys. But my V3.5 is the only reel I own that failed while fighting a fish. The spool split and jammed the reel/line while I was trying to land a Redfish. I was not happy. So I have no confidence in that spool design.

Anonymous said...

I miss Phil. What would phil say?

Anonymous said...

Obviously.........

Anonymous said...

lamson