Monday, August 29, 2016

Groundhog Day Sucks

Ditto…except for the hot and smokey. Mile after mile of nothingness with 49 fly changes, 87 pieces of split shot, and 29 meters of fluorocarbon ( I know it was 29 as the spool only has 30 and I expect to remember that I only have i meter left after my second fly change tomorrow). At least I''ll be able to think to myself that things would be different if only I had more 5X tomorrow. It's sad, but I think it has come to that, finally.
Where is that? That space in time as a fishing guide where the truth is that you actually really do know what is going on. You like to think of at least 9 different reasons for why the fishing sucks and break each of them down to find the one that is most likely applicable to the specific situation.
I lean more to the logical explanations like the Yellowstone Club sewage pond break last spring has poisoned all of rivers in the Missouri Headwaters region. That, coupled with the toxic release of rubber in vibram soled shoes and boots (there seems to be a lot of that going on too), has reduced fish populations by 97% in the last 4 months. There is no way the lack of fish to hand could have anything to do with flies, drifts, and presentation. The only thing that makes sense is that they are all dead!
So, I'll be out there again early tomorrow, knowing that the bite is going to suck. At least I know why now….

No comments: