Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Day Two at Los Roques - June 6 2017


Day one of fishing in the books here in Los Roques with Sightcast Outfitters. The wind has been blowing, but the place is just amazing from a flats fishing perspective. Endless series of pancake flats, beach flats, and mangrove flats are everywhere with deep channels connecting them all. The sardines are everywhere, I mean everywhere. Pelicans, terns, and gulls seem to spend the day - and probably night as well - crashing into the water for samples of a piscatorial buffet that just never quits. The fishing you ask? Fishing was great, the catching you ask? Not my bets outing would be my comment.

Every flat we pulled up yesterday was full of feeding Bonefish, tailing Bonefish, and schools of feeding, paling Bonefish. Now, it was windy as hell and partly cloudy and most of which we were fishing had a dark bottom. So, it was hard to see the fish consistently and we had a lot of wind and tide current affecting our leaders/lines during the presentations. Still, most fish that ate my fly were treated to a full-on Tarpon style set. My knots failed time after time. By late in the day, I finally brought one to hand and felt like I was getting the feel for the hooks once again.

Rainman, on the other hand, killed it on the Bonefish and then spent the afternoon looking for Tarpon. Sounded like he made one cast at Tarpon and came tight to a 50 pounder which he fought for half and hour or so, but lost it at the boat just before the leader was touched. So close, I say.

The day was great, overall though, and that never gets lost on me anymore. I was able to spend the day with my dad, walking the flats and thinking only of the present and trying to notice everything that was in my world at that moment. Fancy talk for I was focused on looking for fish and happy to be fishing with my dad!

My wife enjoyed the diving and we did a small hike up the hills that outline Grand Roques last evening. I could sit on the Ridgeline and stare into the rolling waves and crashing breakers below foe endless days.

Its been a great vacation so far and I can't rave on enough about Sightcast Outfitters and Posada Acuarela. The staff, guides, food, accommodations, and location has been nothing short of exceptional. Looking forward to day two!


No comments: