Sunday, August 24, 2008

Local Getaway

We have another system coming through tomorrow which promises some afternoon gusts of up to 40 mph. I won't be going to Yellowstone...that's for sure anyway. I like trying to get out of the wind by fishing down in the valleys amongst the cottonwoods. You can always find enough protected places to keep the day worthwhile.

The bite has been pretty solid just about everywhere and water conditions look like they usually do around late July. I don't really know what to make of it other than fishing has been really good.

Most of the fish I've seen and heard about on the Yellowstone this summer have been skinnier than usual. I think something might be said for our long and significant runoff adversely impacting fish health. That said, they're still spunky and health looking...I just haven't seen many real fatties since the runoff. The Madison and Gallatin, on the other hand, are both showing some chunky little bastards as of late.

I lost my net yesterday at the car wash in Belgrade. I took it out of the boat while I gave it a quick spray. Some prick stole it within an hour. It was a wooden brodin boat net with a reddish/clear rubber basket. That was number 2 this year! I left he other one on an island on the stone this spring. Cheap aluminum ones break and good ones are expensive and get lost...kind of like sunglasses I guess.

No comments: