Sunday, March 21, 2010

Back Home

I just returned from spring break with my family. Christine, my parents, and the two boys had a great vacation. We spent a couple days in Dallas on the front and back end of the trip. And then spent last week at Atlantis on Nassau in the Bahamas. I need a vacation to recover from the vacation! It's amazing how busy kids are!
Atalantis was a blast, great food, great water slides, friendly people, and the kids had a great time.

I did manage to sneak away for a day of Bonefishing - it was the only day that it rained during the trip.
There are a lot of flats around the island and they really don't get that much pressure. Most of the guided trips are one day trips with people staying at the resort, trying to get out for a quick day...like me. There are only a couple guides, plenty of flats, and plenty of fish.

We had terrible weather the one day I fished. Dark skies, intermittent rain, and no wind for the most part. The guides name was Aaron Bain with Secret Soul Outfitters. I've bonefished maybe 10 days and all in Mexico so I'm not an expert, but I get the jist of the program. Conditions were tough for spotting and the lack of any breeze made it nearly impossible to land the fly without a "plop."


Aaron worked very hard to find fish and we ended up getting into some smaller groups later in the day and I landed a few 3-4 pounders. In my experience, flats guides don't like to stay out very late and work too terribly hard, but this guy stuck with it all day. We didn't get off the water until 6:30 and the rian finally had us soaked through. The last fish I caught was at the end of a mile or so push over a flat, about 100 yards from the edge of the flat. I was ready to quit an hour earlier but I figured that I'd stick with it as long as he thought we had a chance. He really was very good and I'd highly recommend taking a day to fish with him the next time you're in Nassau .

No comments: