Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Fishin Today


Have had a few days off now, back at it tomorrow on up through the end of the month. Good to get caught up in the shop for once this year and even better to get out and fish today. Shop stuff is going very well this summer from the biz side of things with very little involvement from me...which tells me that I should fish more and worry less. We're almost back in stock with everything we need to get through the rest of the season and if Idylwilde shows up for us...we'll have enough silver lightning bugs to get through 2 more weeks.


I have a lot on my mind right now, mostly bs like taxes, preseason orders, son's soccer schedule, guides, employees, website, etc. I think it's called owning my own business.

Fished the lower today and it was ok to good. Steven lost a pig, we hooked a bunch of dinks and a few ok fish too, missed a lot as well. The flows have been stable over there for several days, there are still oodles of pseudos hatching mid-day, fish still eat crayfish, sculpins, lightning bugs, and worms. They also still look at hoppers and eat them with too much subtlety which causes me to lose all interest after 3 minutes.

Was thinking about this whole fishing thing yesterday and how I have always wanted to fish.  I grew up BASS fishin' in Texas on Cedar Creek Lake in east Texas. It's kind of all I wanted to do until I found a girl dumb enough to go to homecoming with me in high school. I don't know if it was time with my dad, the way I focus so much on it that I don't think about anything else, maybe it's just that underlying feeling that God is going to reveal himself to me if I just stick with it long enough, maybe it's the way my heart stops when I feel something tugging on my line, maybe it has become a legitimate way out of the real world for me? Whatever it is, it's been with me since I was 5 or 6 when two friends and I sat on a bank clipping sunfish  fins so that we'd know if we caught the same fish over and over (I don't remember if we did). One thing is for sure, I know that I am fortunate to do what I've always wanted to do and still can't believe how much I enjoy it.

No comments: