Friday, September 02, 2011

First Frost and Caviar


Another great day here in SW Montana despite a stiffy from the west. The high winds made for a quicker than normal float, but the fish were eating well enough to keep everyone happy. Cawdad season is the best season. Frost on my boat this morning and ended the day with whitefish eggs aplenty.

What else? I've been feeling the burnout begin, but have a few days off coming up next week and then head over to Missoula for a week of guiding over there. There are many days this time of year when I have to remind myself that I could be sitting in traffic on my way to work in Dallas right now. Instead...I'm here in Montana, getting paid to take folks fishing on some of the best trout waters anywhere in the world. Sure, it can be a challenge and feel more like work than not work...but it's a pretty damn good job when I stop and think about it.

It's a whole lot better though when I put my nicotine patch on! I was stressing out this morning about 11 and realized I had no nicotine and the closets source was 30 miles and several hours away. Been there once before this year and it wasn't pretty! So, I did a quick dig through my rower seat box with the hope of finding a leftover patch to no avail. However, I did find a can snus from last year with one packet left in it. Yeah, I though about it for about 1/3 of a second and put it in...whew...life was good again. Not to worry though, it was just for emergencies and I'm not going back down tobacco road.

Was so windy today that the boat was going way way faster than the water at one point with a fish hooked up. So, I'm trying to navigate around some boulders in 4 inches of water without loosing the fish, boat, or anglers when the rainbow on the other end jumps. He came out of the water about 3 feet and landed smack dab in the middle of one of the boulders I was trying to avoid! He slid right off but we all were happy to not be that fish at that moment!

No comments: