Monday, June 01, 2015

060115

Father and son fly fishing
The love and passion for fishing was introduced into my life at an early age through the patience and persistence of my dad.  As my kids have started to grow up a little bit (ages 8 & 16), I have had the chance to slowly induct them into the life aquatic.  Although I savor those days with buddies, exploring and fishing across Montana, it is increasingly becoming hard to beat the satisfaction of watching my kids get lost in the pull of a Montana stream.
The older I get, the more I appreciate the luxury we have around here in terms of amazing, accessible rivers full of wild trout. That’s not the case most places and I am hoping that my kids learn to love it all, more than I do myself. Cold water and wild trout have changed my life for the better and “passing it on” is something that I personally hold very close to the heart.
Alex Swank with Beaverhead Brown Trout Matthew Swank with Henry's Fork Rainbow
So, if you’ve got a young one, we want to help make getting out on the water easier and more productive. Nothing gets a young angler more excited than having their own gear while putting their skills together resulting in a fish in the net or hand.  That connection to the resource is something that stays with them forever, and just might be “the thing” that keeps them connected to the real world through the trials and tribulations of growing up. It’s an experience that is one of the true gifts that I’ve been able to give my kids, much like my father did when I was young.
Fins & Feathers is excited to announce our first, annual “Hook Your Kid Up” event, aimed at encouraging everyone to get their kids into fly fishing and out on the water. Stop by Fins & Feathers with your child and register to win 1 of 2 great gifts for the young angler in your life this June!
1. A Complete fly fishing outfit - including rod, reel, pack (loaded with accessories and flies), waders, and boots - to one lucky kid that registers for the drawing.
2. A complete Tenkara fly-fishing package by Tenkara USA.
Registering is simple, just swing by Fins & Feathers the next time you are heading out to the river with your kids and enter to win! Be sure to share some pictures of your kids’ success on the water with too.
Contest Rules - Both the parent and child need to be present to register. The contest is open to kids under the age of 14. Parent or guardian must have a valid Montana fishing license.  Waders and Boots will be special ordered for the winning child. We will draw names out of “the hat” on June 30th and notify the lucky winners via e-mail.
Father and son celebrating fly fishing in Bozeman, Montana

No comments: