Saturday, January 02, 2021

Gallatin River Visual Report


Skied today with the family - best snow of the year so far. Got me thinking about how much I dig skiing versus winter fishing. I used to live for those early morning drives across the state too spend the day - or the weekend - staring at a bobber in 3' of water with frozen toes. I still love the fishing and don't really mind the cold either - however I am perhaps like ol' Ricky Bobby in more ways than one.

The Gallatin looks really good right now, the slush ice isn't nearly as thick as it was earlier in there week and the water is perfectly clear. Sure, you have to watch out for some ice shelves here and there, but this is  great time to fish a couple small nymphs (or a worm and an egg) about 4-5 feet below and indicator through that gentle jog-pace water with some depth to it. There are a few people out there, but it looks mostly like guides out of Big Sky wasting the day away with dudes of one flavor or another. We should start see some fish eating midges in he canyon shadows with the warmer weather this coming week.

I'll be bombing groomers and grinding out database rebuilds - let me know how the Gally goes

No comments: